Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Black History Month

I was teaching a class and we were discussing Martin Luther King Jr. and civil rights as apart of Black History Month.  One of the students asked me "Is there a white history month?" This question got me thinking...Why do we celebrate Black History Month in 2012?  What will be next?  Will there be a LGBT month?  I may be alone in this, but I can see how this could seem like a put down to the Black community to have a month devoted to a race.  If we want to have racism end, we have to stop categorizing ourselves into races.  We have to think of us all as humans.  I can see categorizing ourselves based on the country you live in (American, Canadian, etc), but I don't think we are advancing as a society if we continue to place ourselves into categories.  I see this categorizing on everything from registration forms to job applications.  It just shows me that our society values the segregation and not unification.

No comments:

Post a Comment